Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Recent Reads #1 | To All The Boys I've Loved Before

Something that I have loved from a really young age was reading - and once I discovered the Harry Potter series, I was hooked. And I mean the "I-can-fill-three-huge-bookshelves" kind of hooked.
I used to read a book every two weeks - now that I take classes and work two part time jobs, I sadly don't have enough time to do that anymore, but I still try to sit down with a book every once in a while.

Seeing as I blog about all the things I'm passionate about, I decided to introduce a series called 'Recent Reads' to my blog, so whenever I come around to finishing a good book, I get to introduce you guys to it! 

I finally got to do some reading this past spring break - I might've had to neglect the projects I could've gotten done over the past two weeks, but when it came to All The Boys I Loved Before by Jenny Han, it was totally worth it.


Now, this book has been sitting on my shelf for ages. I think I picked it up some time after Christmas, read the first hundred pages, and then somehow never bothered with it again afterwards.
How could I forget how sweet this was? I'm gonna blame this one on all the reading I had to do for classes - damn you, trilingual hell.

'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' revolves around Lara Jean. who is a junior in high school.
Lara Jean keeps love letters to all the boys she has ever been in love with in a hatbox her deceased mother once gave to her, five in total.
One day, those five letters somehow get sent out to the boys they were adressed to, and Lara Jean is left to figure out how to face those boys, one of which is her older sister Margot's boyfriend, while also being somewhat of a mother to her younger sister Kitty, support her single Dad and stay in touch with Margot, who left her family to go to college in Europe.

Originally, this book is supposed to be a young adult book, but I wouldn't just stick by that.
'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' is a story about love - well, obviously - family, growing up and learning that life doesn't play out the way you want it to - all of which are topics that touch most of us, right?

One of the things that makes or breaks a book for me is the main character - come on, I don't want to follow the story of someone I can't stand - and Lara Jean is someone I imediately identified with.
Even though sometimes she ocasionally locks horns with both of her sisters - which kind of resulted in the mess she ends up getting in - she is a family person through and through.
She's probably relatable to a lot of people who are still in school or still remember their time in high school vividly - a little on the awkward side, trying to make a good impression, a little snappy, yet still kind of timid - what might sound like an oddly mixed personality right now plays out as something that strikes you as incredibly human about the main character, and I found that to be great.

In my opinion, Jenny Han did a great job at creating a contemporary novel that makes you laugh, sometimes shake your head a little and smile while watching the main character grow.

If you're looking for a short, sweet read, I would definitely recommend this book to you. I don't often fall head over heels for a book, but this one definitely holds a special place in my heart - and on my bookshelf now.

'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' is available for 17,79€ (hardcover) or 9,20€ (paperback) on Amazon.

What's a book that you've recently read? Make sure to mention it in a comment because I'm always looking for some new ones to pick up!

Thank you so much for reading!



SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Definitely want to try that book but it's so hard to find time but all together reading is definitely a worthy activity
    clandestine-v.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been so hard for me lately! But when it comes to books like this, sometimes it's really worth to try and make time to sit down and read. x

      Delete

Please let me know what you think!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig