Sunday, March 15, 2015

Spreading Positivity | Lifestyle


On New Year's Eve 2014, billions of people made billions of new year's resolutions they probably weren't going to keep - we've all done that before, right?

I didn't have one big resolution. Or maybe, I actually did.
I wanted to become happier, to change view on certain things and cut everything and everyone out of my life that/who is dragging me down with them.

Now, a good three months later, I can say that I feel a lot better than I did when I made that resolution, even though that might sound cheesy.

One of the reasons I feel this way is probably the fact that I started spreading positivity instead of spreading negativity.

I know how easy it is to go with the flow of the crowd and moan about everything and anything that is making you angry, upset or sad.

Take school, for example.
Most of the people I take classes with are constantly upset or angry about something - which, considering we are teenagers who all somewhat struggle with school as well as life in general, is pretty understandable - but they make sure to let everyone know how they feel at that said time.

I don't know if I'm the only person who this happens to, but if someone around me is upset about something, it will automatically affect my mood in a negative way.

That is why I wanted to approach things with more positivity - because I'm just as guilty of doing the above as the next person is, and I've realized what a negative impact it has had one me and the way I look at people, things, and life in general - so much that during certain periods of time, I would go to bed crying every night and waking up to the excact same feeling.

Well, it sucked.

So I started taking baby steps - smiling at myself in the mirror, not making a comment when something annoyed me.
Then, smiling at strangers, making compliments and really meaning them.
Making a nice comment, even though I was in a situation where I was about to rip my hair out.

Now, I can only speak for myself, but ever since I stopped picking out the negative parts of every single thing that went my way, I've been feeling happier and more at ease.

I can now wake up and not think "Oh my god, I have 9 hours of classes and two more hours of work", but take a deep breath and smile because the sun is shining or I'm wearing my favorite pair of shoes.

One of the nicest things that comes with this is the impact it has on other people - my friend told me that my encouraging words made her day better, my Mom smiling brightly when I tell her that I thought of her while she was having a hard time at work, making someone else smile.


We all know that life isn't lollipops and butterflies, but as I see it, to a certain extent, we do get to choose how we live it - and today, I chose happiness by spreading some positivity.


What is your opinion on this topic?

Thank you so much for reading!


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig